- Download the Google Home app to your smartphone.
- Plug in the Google Home using the included power adapter.
- Open the Google Home app.
- If prompted to allow location permissions, please do so.
- Select your Google Home from the list of devices, then click Set Up.
- You will be prompted to allow your phone to connect to a hotspot broadcast by the Google Home device. Accept the prompt.
- To ensure you connected to the correct device, a test sound will be played. Answer the displayed question accordingly.
- Enter the location (street address) of your Google Home, then click Continue.
- Make a note of the MAC address displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. It is displayed as letters and numbers separated by colons. You'll need this later.
- Select GTother from the list of available wireless networks.
- If you have connected to GTother on your phone previously, you'll be prompted to share the password with the Google Home.
- If you have not connected to GTother on your phone previously, you will need to enter the GTother security key (found here).
- If your phone is currently connected to GTwifi, you will be prompted to change networks to GTother to continue setup. Accept the prompt.
- You should now see a spinning screen saying "Setting up your Google Home." Your Google Home will now attempt to connect to GTother but will not be able to reach the internet.
- On a device already connected to the internet, navigate to https://auth.lawn.gatech.edu. Enter your GT credentials and select Login a Different Device. Enter the MAC Address from step 8 in the MAC Address field. Click Login.
- Your Google Home should now be connected to the internet. Note that you may see an error message on your phone stating that the Google Home could not be detected on the network. This is normal. Wait approximately one minute and your phone should be able to see your Google Home.
- You will need to repeat step 12 after each session on the wireless network as the self-serve registration expires after a period of inactivity. Alternatively, we can register your Google home for a persistent 4-month registration that will automatically sign you in. To do this, please submit a device registration request and we will be happy to assist you.